Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 24 November 2014

Hello sunshine yellow and lemony delights

Yellow is such a happy colour don't you think?  I love it when the yellow daisies start to flower in my front garden.


 To me yellow is also the colour that says summer. In Australia spring is on the wane and summer is moving in. My front garden is starting to put on its brilliant summer display -  red Coral Bush, purple/blue Agapanthus, yellow daisies, green kangaroo paws, pink hydrangers, roses, and sprawling nasturtiums. Someone called Agapanthus "Aggie's Pants" the other day - I love that.

To read more please click on "read more"!



 In our back garden the grapes are starting to form, and we have put bags over the apricots on our apricot tree. We had an awful problem with fruit fly last year, due to changes to permittable chemical spray laws, and we had to throw away our whole crop due to fruit fly. "Natural" methods did not work for us at all. So we bought these fruit fly protection bags on the internet, and will see how we go this year. Down in the RHcorner you can see my honeysuckle - oh my the perfume is so sweet and delicious. I have a vase of it in my kitchen where I can smell it as I work.


There always seems to be at least a few lemons on our lemon tree, so the other day I made lemon butter, you might know it as lemon curd - so delicious spread on scones or bread. Some of our lemons are huge.


Here you can see the ingredients for the lemon butter - lemons, sugar, butter and eggs. My problem with the recipe is - how much is juice of three lemons? The amount of lemon juice will really determine the thickness of your lemon butter. 


Here is the recipe I use, taken from The CWA (Country Women's Association) Cookery Book - this recipe book has been a standard for Australian women since it was first published in 1936. It is still in print today. 

Lemon butter
500 grams (1lb) sugar, 250 grams (1/2 lb) butter, 4 eggs, juice of 3 lemons.
Grate rind of lemons and mix with juice and other ingredients in a jug or bowl. Stand over boiling water on stove. Stir until consistency of honey, but do not allow to boil. 
This took me about 1/2 hour. Bottle immediately. Makes about 3 jars. Store in the fridge. 

My lemons are very large and I thought the consistency should have been thicker.


Perfect on scones for morning or afternoon tea on the patio - or just spread on bread!



I also made these lemon puddings. What a lovely summer dessert they are. I found this recipe in a Coles supermarket June 2013 magazine.

Lemon custard puddings - makes 4
3 large eggs separated, 2/3 cup caster/superfine sugar, 2 teaspn grated lemon zest, 2 tblspn plain flour, 1 cup full-cream milk, 1/4 cup lemon juice, pinch salt, 2 tblspn flaked almonds toasted & coarsely crumbled (although I think you can omit the almonds) 

Heat oven to 180C or 160C fan forced.
Coat four 1-cup ramekins with butter. In a bowl whisk the egg yolks, sugar and zest until cream and pale yellow. Whisk in the flour and then the milk and lemon juice.
In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites for 2 minutes or until foamy. Add salt, increase speed to medium-high and beat for about 30 seconds or until soft peaks form. 
Gently fold the egg whites into the lemon batter. Fold in the almonds. The batter should be airy and loose. Divide batter equally between the ramekins. 
Place the ramekins in a baking dish lined with paper towell (this stops them moving about). Add enough boiling water to the baking dish to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake puddings for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
Carefully remove from baking dish and set aside to cool for 2 minutes.
Dust with icing sugar to serve.




And here are some delicious lemon tarts (I didn't make the one on the right).... and of course there is always lemon meringue pie - our family favourite

I have just been asked for the recipe for these lemon tarts. It is from Tartelette - do you know her food blog? Devine. She has used gluten free pastry whereas I just used a short crust pastry. Here is the link - Tartelette-lemon-tarts


We are moving into the time for stone fruit - peaches, plums, apricots, nectarines - my absolutely most favourite time of year.  I'm looking forward to making again this simple dessert - peaches with honey and nutmeg - but that's a story for another time.



So there you have it - yellow!
And I am reminded there is much to be thankful for.  I wish happy Thanksgiving for those of you in America who are celebrating this week with family and friends. 





 Do you have a lemon tree in your garden? What is your favourite lemon dessert? Please tell us in your comments.

Thank you for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. Have a wonderful week.

I am linking up to Mosaic Monday, Our World Tuesday, Wednesday Around the World,  and What's It Wednesday.  Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Mosaic Monday
Our World Tuesday
Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global
What's It Wednesday

You might also like - 

Summer fruit and salad days 
Summer December flowers  
December summer colour 
Flowering Kangaroo Paws 

32 comments:

  1. That big beautiful lemon makes my mouth water. We grow a lot of citrus here in our area of Florida and they are starting to pick this week. I can't wait to get a lemon and make lemonade! Enjoy your week! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Caster sugar is a superfine sugar - here is a link that might help - http://www.nigella.com/kitchen-queries/view/Caster-Sugar-Substitute/3360

      Delete
  3. Mmm, I love lemon anything, Lemons make everything taste fresh somehow, don't they? I live too far north to grow lemons outside, but some of my friends have a small tree inside and it produces lemons. Keep thinking of getting one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delightful post in lemon yellow. Lemon curd is my favourite to have on scones, lucky you to have your own lemons to make some.
    Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful golden yellow brightens up my day and what a lovely garden you must have Jill. Your food pics are always a delight and make me want to head for the kitchen and start baking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems strange to think you are about to start summer just as winter is starting in my world. Bright yellow lemons are certainly the right shade to welcome in a summer’s mood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it all looks good enough to eat straight off the page! I love who you call lemon curd, lemon butter. I've never heard of that, but it makes me want to grab a big chunk of fresh bread and spread it all over. Thanks for sharing the recipes. Your food photography just gets better and better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've never heard of Lemon Butter Jo! where have you been! I must give you a jar next time you are down. If you like sweet lemon desserts you will love it!

      Delete
  8. I love anything lemony flavor. Lemon Delicious Pudding was my favourite as a child and I adore Lemon Meringue Pie. There is nothing more refreshing that lemons in a glass of chilled water or that cleansing lemon juice in water of a morning. Thank you for the recipes - the lemon butter looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes lemon is such a zingy refreshing taste! These Lemon Custard Puddings are very much like Lemon Delicious Pudding. I love that too. You could easily use your Lemon Delicious pudding recipe and cook in individual bowls. I don't think you need the almonds in the recipe.

      Delete
  9. Yellow is my favourite colour! Your lemon dishes are mouth-watering. Thank you for sharing the recipes - I might try them one of these days (even if lemon is a bit pricey on this side of the world!). Enjoy the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What pretty and cheerful shots. Those lemon curd puddings looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely bright and cheery images, Jill! Your flowers are beautiful..The lemon butter does sound yummy. Wonderful series and post, Jill. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great splash of colour this post is - very nice.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that MY world is mostly grey and brown, I'm smitten by the lovely colours in your garden. I have never seen fruit fly bags before. I sure hope they work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You brightened my day with all your color! We have a long wait for that now. The lemon butter sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I adore this post! When we were pursuing our 'daydream' of owning a home in Greece I had been beside myself at the thought of owning a home with a lemon tree in the garden. I had such fantasies of all the things I would have made with those lemons had the deal gone through. . .but it wasn't meant to be, so I can at least savour your lemons and those wonderful creations. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by Jackie & Joel. On a cooking show I once saw a lemon tree growing on a trellis over paving on the coast of either Italy or Greece. The people were having lunch under it and I thought it was a wonderful idea. Lemons fresh picked off the tree are the best! happy travels

      Delete
  16. Yellow is my favorite color. I agree, it's such a happy color. You are so lucky to have fresh lemons right in your garden. Your jars of lemon butter look delicious. I am imagining how wonderful they smell and taste. Your lemon pudding looks fantastIc too. Your post is making me very happy right now. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful post, so many great photos, - well done!
    My post at: https://hanshb.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, everything looks so sunny and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful array of colors in your garden... not to mention a lemon tree, too! If I have a garden, I would want a lemon tree. I pretty much love anything lemon-flavored / scented.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Jill, I adore lemon anything and lemon curd is so yummy. I even love it warm out of the pan ;). My mom used to make homemade lemon pies and I was the official pot cleaner with my big spoon. I will have to try your recipes, though of course we have no lemon trees, I shall purchase some large Meyer Lemons. All of the other images are just so beautiful as well. Hugs to you~

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love anything lemon... those custard tarts looks amazing

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. What pretty yellow flowers, a nice contrast to the snow here today!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm all excited about new blossom colors on the way, too! My first dahlia bloom arrived today and I'm anticipating more soon! I adore jasmine, too. My two bushes are just starting to bud.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh yum, yum, yum! I love lemon butter and lemon delicious (your lemon pudding) and then you show me lemon tarts. Sounds like lemon heaven. I can't believe the size of your lemons and I am hanging for the day when I have a lemon tree and a yard big enough for more than one, oh and some other fruit tree friends for the lemons as well. Beautiful things are happening in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lucky you to have so much fresh fruit as well as the gorgeous flowers! Lemon is my all time favorite, so I can't wait to try some of these delicious recipes.
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! Your agapanthus are early - ours are only just starting to burst out! And don't get me started on citrus desserts - my all time favourite restaurant dessert EVER was a tasting plate of citrus treats - it had 4 little 'tastes' of different lemon interpretations - a small lemon pudding, a little slice of lemony cheesecake, a lemon truffle and a candied lemon peel tarte tatin - all very tiny, but PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh yummy goodies with lemons....wish we could grow lemons...too cold here.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.