Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 17 December 2012

Summer December flowers, Western Australia

It is December, and summer is here, although with last week's torrential rain and thunderstorms it didn't feel like it. This pic I took through the windscreen of the car parked at the beach - a fence, grassy sand-dune, ocean and sky! I rather liked the pattern on the window.


But it is summer, so I share with you some summer colour from around my garden -


and some native flowers that I have growing in my garden - the reds, greens and yellows have a Christmassy feel


and our summer crops - the last lemons are clinging to the tree, the grapes are starting to fill out, the tomatoes are ripening, and the apricots whilst still green are starting to colour and will be ready to pick for Christmas - then it will be time again to preserve some and make apricot jam. Have you tried fresh apricot slices in a tossed summer salad - delicious!


Lavender is my favourite garden flower. I have photographed it many many times.
One of my lavender bushes is covered in flowers. The bees are loving it. 
I was standing in the kitchen late one afternoon a week or so ago, looking out the window while I was cooking dinner, and when I saw this magic light, I turned off the stove, and ran outside to photograph it.  Natural late afternoon light, back lit from setting sun.



This is the moon flower - the flowers only flower for one night, so you need to be looking out for when it is going to open. Beautiful isn't it? I lit the flower with a torch to capture this image.
Epiphyllum Oxypetalum or Dutchman’s-Pipe Cactus, is a large floral variety of cactus native from Mexico to Brazil.


  This past year I have been learning Flamenco Spanish dancing at the Sol y Sombra Spanish Dance Company in Bunbury. We have classes once a week in the dance room at the Bunbury Regional Art Gallery. Flamenco is not easy to learn, and I practise a lot! It certainly keeps the mind and body active learning the intricate steps and patterns, hearing the music, and coordinating hands, arms and feet and trying to remember to smile! On Saturday evening we held a performance at the Red Mill Store in Bunbury for family and friends. It was my first performance - nerve racking.

It was a wonderful evening. I especially thank Nicole and the wonderful dancers at Sol y Sombra for their support, encouragement and friendship. And hugs also to my fellow beginner dancer Emila - we made it and we did ok! I am looking forward to when classes start again next year already!

No - none of these ladies in the pic below is me! I took this image from the side lines. Next time I will have to organise a spot for me to take pics during the dances I am not in.! (smile.....)
sometimes a dancer....always a photographer.....!...


To learn more about Sol y Sombra Spanish Dance Company please click on the link here - Sol-y-Sombra-Spanish-Dance-Company-School-of-Dance

Now that the dance performance is over, I now need to start doing my Christmas cooking!

Have a wonderful week. How are your Christmas preparations going? Have you learnt a new skill this past year?

I am linking up to Mosaic Monday at the Little Red House. Please click on the link to see the work of Mary and other wonderful contributors - Mosaic Monday

You may also like - please click on the links to go to.....
December Summer Colour
The trees are blooming for Christmas
Her beauty only lasts one night
Spanish Flamenco dancing

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful mosaics, and as always your images are to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Jill! Your flowers are gorgeous. You must have beautiful gardens, the lavender is my favorite, what a lovely photo. The dancing looks like fun, I wish I did not have two left feet. Gorgeous images and mosaics, have a happy week ahead and a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much to comment upon...your glorious summer flowers and fruit! So lovely...and, yes, even Christmasy.

    And you are a Flamenco dancer! Wow. One year, about seven years ago now, my sister took a year of tap dancing. What a hoot! She was too exhausted to smile, trust me. I was exhausted with laughter. She used the garage floor as her studio...cement...not good...and the knicks and scuffs are still evident. These dancers remembered to smile and I am sure that you do, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh beautiful colorful summer images!
    Thanks for your visit
    I wish you a Merry Christmas
    hugs
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Jill, for your kind comment.
    Your blog is refreshing and your photography is beautiful!
    I look forward to revisiting you, my friend.
    Blessings,
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband was keen for many years to play flamenco guitar and I thought he could do a good job. Sadly, he has not picked up the guitar in quite a while. We used to go into Toronto once a year to hear a famous flamenco guitarist by the name of Paco Garcia who had as part of his evening performance a number of flamenco dancers. It was quite spell binding to watch them. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know the Moon flower existed let alone ever seen one in flower... thanks Jill. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so very much for your kind comments re...our daughter Brittany. She got to return home last evening following 16 days in 2 hospital's 5 major infections, and 2 surgeries. We are thankful and hopeful now.
    Your photographs always bring me a smile and I so needed one!
    Love the raindrops from windscreen looking out and the lavender stems at bottom and all of the sweet posies in between.
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Flowers are beautiful -- and the mosaic is so well done. But I am entranced with the rain photo through your window -- it's quite dreamlike and beautiful. (And the dancing class looks like a ton of fun.)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.