Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Sunday 18 January 2015

Bunbury street art on a Sunday morning, Western Australia




So what does one do in Bunbury on a Sunday morning?

  • Go to the beach
  • Take a walk
  • Have breakfast in a cafe
  • View the street art
  • Go to the art gallery

Or as we did on this last Sunday all of the above!




Please click on "read more" to read more!




We were up early on Sunday so that we could walk and look at the new street art in the city centre before it was too hot. Part way through the walk we stopped at one of the many cafes around town for breakfast. 
I love this sign below - "Coffee makes it possible to get out of bed, cupcakes makes it worthwhile - we have both"
You can see our busy cappuccino strip in the collage below. Ok it doesn't look too busy in these pics because we were there about 7am - but trust me it is usually buzzing!
 The Re-Discover 2015 street art project is an initiative of their founder and creative director, Andrew Frazer, and "Six Two Three Zero", a Bunbury based, artist run initiative, that seeks to use street art as a catalyst for urban development and social change by bringing communities together in conversation and creative inspiration"

One of their aims of the street art project is "to increase awareness of street art and its positive effects". Six murals were last year painted on blank walls in the CBD with the support of local businesses. Eleven more murals have been added this year. They also held Youth Street Art Workshops at the Bunbury Regional Art Gallery for youths aged between 13-17.  You can read more about the street art on Six Two Three Zero's Facebook page by clicking here - Six Two Three Zero & Bunbury street art

Some of the artists from 2014's Street Art project returned to paint another mural this year.  Below you can see some of the new murals - the bottom two RHS are two of my favourites from last year.
 I have shown you the Bunbury Regional Art Gallery before. In a former life it was
the Sisters of Mercy Convent and Chapel.  Built in 1897 in Federal Free Medieval style, a blend of Gothic and Southern European architectural characteristics, it is a distinctive part of our city landscape. At the rear of the gallery on the walls of the more recent additions is now this vibrant mural - painted by Beastman - a multidisciplinary artist based in Sydney who has exhibited internationally. One of my favorites of this year's street art.

Some of the art is very long..... like these two painted by Ayres (based in Perth and works strictly with a spray-can) and the graphic style of Fecks (also based in Perth).

Whilst others are very very tall.... like these two behind the Bunbury Entertainment Centre - the surreal and figurative style of Fintan Magee and Kyle Hughes-Odgers whose latest picture book has been published by Fremantle Press in October 2014 . To give you a bit a perspective that is a 60ft Elevated Work Platform there in front - I know this because the company I work for supplied it.  You might be able to imagine the scale of this piece - imagine painting it and getting all the proportions right! 
This piece in a laneway by Yokohama born TwoOne was so big I couldn't get far enough back to photograph it all in one shot.

Afterwards we went to the Bunbury Regional Art Gallery where you can view and purchase art pieces on canvas by the artists involved in Discovery 2015 Street Art.

I congratulate Six Two Three Zero for bringing these artists to Bunbury and helping to create a vibrant public art culture for our city and bringing street art to our community.

I haven't shown you all the art there is to see. To do that you must visit Bunbury and see for yourself.

After all that walking you might want to just sit down with another coffee...and cake maybe...

   
I leave you with this photo.....on Saturday evening we went down to the Bunbury back beach to see the sunset dripping leisurely into the Indian Ocean, to meet up with some members of the Photography Group of Bunbury, and so I could play around with my neutral density filter and slow shutter speed.


Thank you for stopping by. I really do value your comments and look forward to hearing from you and will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 

Find out more about the Bunbury street art project at Six Two Three Zero.

I think this image says it all about summer and family - two boys (my grandsons) having fun on a swing on the beach.


I am linking up to Mosaic Monday, Travel Photos Monday, Our World Tuesday, Wednesday Around the World, Travel Photo Thursday, and What's It Wednesday.  Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Mosaic Monday
Travel Photo Mondays
Our World Tuesday
Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global
What's It Wednesday
Travel Photo Thursday


You might also like - 

Artist's trail around Bunbury 
Lyndendale Gallery in winter 
Blooming art at the Bunbury Art Gallery 
 

36 comments:

  1. What an interesting article, Jill@ I can't wait to see all these things. The srt looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Color seems to have been poured onto this place! Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it certainly has. I really love the way it brightens up alleyways.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic Street Art Jill and you have captured all the colour and vibe perfectly. The cafes don't look half bad either!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have some great cafes in Bunbury. so much choice - and really great for us "ladies who lunch".

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great morning in Bunbury Jill .... starting with a good coffee then leisurely mozzying along those multi-coloured street-art lanes and finally dipping your aching feet into the crystal clear Indian Ocean. Just perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love the new look to your blog. It suits you so well :)
    The street art in Bunbury is going from strength to strength isn't it? So glad to see vibrancy and creativity becoming part of our street-scene. We were in Fremantle and photographing street art there last weekend, but it seems high time I also took a walk around our own fair city. Loved your pics and take on the art scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jo. I like the fresh new look too. It's the start of a few changes that are definitely happening this year.
      I love the street art - it adds a fresh vibrancy and brightens up those dark corners

      Delete
  6. I love areas with street art and these are magnificent, tack on some delicious desserts and this is my kind of art and food experience par excellence~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jill, the street art is pretty. And I love the cafe sign, coffee and cupcakes sound great to me.. Wow, the last sky shot is just gorgeous. Wonderful post and photos, enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems like a fantastic day if you could fill all those into your itinerary. Love the pictures.

    Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all the wall art and breakfast looks pretty tasty on your outing. I like a day of this kind too, lots of photo opportunities.
    You sure left us with one of God's prettiest creations.
    Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sound of your Sunday, we also walk on the beach at weekends but there's no coffee & cake there to enjoy out of season. The cafes won't reopen until Easter and that's a long way off yet. Thanks for the tour of Bunbury's street art, I found it fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many wonderful things to do there and oh my what beautiful art even in the sky!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The street art really adds to the vibrancy of a downtown space. Love the bright colours. A walk, coffee, and a little cake sound like a perfect way to spend a summer day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What wonderful colours and shots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like the most perfect day, Jill! Nature, art, good food and good company - what could be better. Love your captures of the street art and agree this community-based art is such a wonderful way to bring people together. My favorites are the Fecks and Kyle Hughes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it certainly was a lovely relaxing day Catherine.

      Delete
  15. All very creative and wonderful shots! Favorite are the murals ~ so colorful!

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you so much for visiting Nora. I am so glad you have enjoyed my blog and learnt a little along the way too.
    Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What amazing street and building art!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing picture, loved the last one of your grandsons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Carolina. It was a lucky pic seeing I only had my small camera with me and they were a little way away. I special un-orchestrated moment. I felt privileged to visit your blog today. Thank you for connecting with me.

      Delete
  19. Jill, these are wonderful pictures - and great street art! And the café - I love it! Especially the sign with the coffee and the cupcakes! (it looks like I'm hungry and could have one cupcake right now :-)). It is nice that there are so many beautiful things to see and do on a weekend (the next real city is about half an hour away from where I live, sometimes I'd like it a little closer, so I can just go to a café when I like or do some shopping or sightseeing...).

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing project bringing such life into your town, all that street art is wonderful. Sounds like a lovely way to spend a Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You live where so many wonderful things having to do with the arts are found. These shares are all so inspiring and fun. When I visit my daughter next month in Florida, I will see some of these kinds of art displays, I hope to anyway. It has been a long week and so much to do and trying to keep my head cheerful, so I am lagging behind. Lots of hugs your way~

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! That's a full day!! I'm sure that's the only reason you visited all the cafes :D Love the street art - look forward to visiting Bunbury one day and seeing it all for myself! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a date Red - let me know when you are coming! and ps - we didn't visit ALL the cafes!

      Delete
  23. What a wonderful way to spend your Sunday. Getting up early seems very worthwhile if this is what you have to look forward to. I really like all the street murals. Those tall ones are amazing. Yes indeed, it's impressive that they were able to scale it up that big. Looking at street art and taking a break in a cafe is how I liked to spend my days in Penang. I need to find a way to do it in Austin, Texas where I am now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great way to spend a Sunday. Love all the art work, and impossible to choose a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the Calendar at the beginning of the post and the bacon and eggs look so inviting. I like the knife and fork being included, makes me think of popping some in my mouth! The street are of the house on the girl - we have a similar theme on one in Townsville. Here is the link http://www.budgettraveltalk.com/2014/12/10/tuesday-townsville-city-lane/

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the Calendar at the beginning of the post and the bacon and eggs look so inviting. I like the knife and fork being included, makes me think of popping some in my mouth! The street are of the house on the girl - we have a similar theme on one in Townsville. Here is the link http://www.budgettraveltalk.com/2014/12/10/tuesday-townsville-city-lane/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks. This is the first time iam seeing a blog with such great info! Looking forward for more posts of this kind.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Browse our wonderful selection of Street Art Prints from talented emerging artists around the world.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.