Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 9 February 2015

Busselton Jetty swim 2015

What does one do on a beautiful summer's Sunday morning in Busselton? Swim 3.6 kilometres around the Busselton Jetty with 2000 other people? Of course! but did I? No not me! I stood on the jetty and watched - I wouldn't want to get my camera wet would I?

But seriously this is what 2000 competitors, male and female, ranging from their teens to their eighties did on Sunday morning 8 February. It was the twentieth time the Around the Busselton Jetty swimming race had been held. Each year the race grows in numbers of competitors.

The event is unique in that the swimmers swim straight out into the ocean along the jetty, turn around the end of the jetty and then race back to the shore. The race can be viewed by spectators for the entire length of the course. 

In the image below you can see the competitors waiting on the beach for the start of the race.  I can imagine their nerves would have been playing havoc with them at this point. Or perhaps they just wanted to get in the water and start swimming.


 The inaugural swim in 1996, attracted 82 participants (18 solo females, 30 solo males, 8 four-person teams and one duo team), mostly local. Competitors travel from the Perth metropolitan and surrounding areas. Good support is provided from the districts of Bunbury and Margaret River. There have also been several interstate and even overseas competitors in recent years.

Numbers of competitors were capped this year for teams and individuals at: 120 x 2 person relay teams, 60 x 4 person relay teams, 1520 solo swimmers = Total swimmers 2000.

The swimmers are sent off from the beach in "waves" according to what time they estimated they will do the swim in. Each level wore a different colour swimming cap. In the pic below you can see the first of the "yellow cap" (fastest) swimmers leaving the beach. 

The Waves started at 08:00am and continued at 2-minute intervals, 2 and 4 person relay teams start at 08:15am.


After that it seemed to be a flurry of heads, arms, legs and froth. 




  That's the end of the jetty you can see in this pic below. There is an underwater observatory at the end of the jetty, and a small train which you can take out to the end. Might be an easier way to get to the end than swimming.


  There were plenty of people on hand on boards, dingies, jet-ski's and boats to help anyone in need of assistance during the race, and there are ladders along the jetty if people decide they have swum their limit.


 I was at the event with my family, sister and brother-in-law. We had gone to the swim to watch my nephew, my sister's son, and his girlfriend, compete in their first Round the Jetty swim. 
Below is a lucky shot I managed to get of my nephew swimming alongside the jetty back to the beach. This was the only time we saw him during the race, and we weren't even sure it was him. Should have checked his number!
He was pleased with his first attempt time 1:04:51


 There was a close tussle in the final homeward straight. These guys you see in the top image below where the first ones to finish.

 Overall male winner was Tim Hewett in 42 minutes 55 seconds, and female was Jamie Bowler in 44 minutes 45 seconds. Tessa Chapman was the first under-15 years female across the line in 50 minutes 18 seconds and Ross Rann was the first under-15 male across the line in 49 minutes 51 seconds. 
The first relay team in was "Double Trouble" - Hannah Greenfield and Maddison Johnston-Walker - in 1 hour, 1 minute, 11 seconds. 

You can see the full results by clicking here - Busselton Jetty swim results 2015


 Congratulations to everyone who competed. Just to complete the swim is a huge effort.
Here you can see some of the competitors coming into the beach, and the buzz on the shore afterwards.


For more information on the jetty swim please click here - Busselton Jetty Swim


This year's race also marked the 150th anniversary of the Busselton Jetty and there were lots of other events held over the weekend around Busselton. 
The heritage listed Busselton jetty extends 1.8 kilometres across Geographe Bay, and is the longest timber-piled jetty in the Southern Hemisphere.

Originally cargo ships tied up at the jetty. Since those days the jetty has been a popular spot for locals and visitors - as a place to fish or to just walk. When my husband's family used to go to Busselton for their summer holidays, my husband and his brothers spent hours out on this jetty fishing. There are not too many places where you can walk out 2 kilometres into the ocean to fish.

For more information about the jetty please click here - Busselton Jetty



I am pleased to be able to tell you that the terrible bushfires we have had at Northcliffe and Boddington where my son has been working in the logistics centre are now finally under control and he returned home today. 

Thank you for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week.

I am linking up to Mosaic Monday, Travel Photos Monday, Our World Tuesday, Wednesday Around the World, Travel Photo Thursday, and What's It Wednesday.  Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Mosaic Monday
Travel Photo Mondays
Our World Tuesday
Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global
What's It Wednesday
Travel Photo Thursday

You might also like - 
Australia Day on the beach at Busselton & Meelup
Busselton Jetty & the Equinox Cafe



25 comments:

  1. What a wonderful event. I almost thought I'd train to give it a go. Almost! Next year though I'm definitely going to go and watch. Your photos make it look an astonishing sight, I love the one with the flurry of arms. Well done to your nephew. What an achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you have to give them credit, the swimmers must all be very fit. I'd be watching too, after all, someone has to photograph these inspiring people!
    Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an exciting event! And what fun to photograph it! You got some great shots. Your nephew will be very pleased with his photo, I'm sure. Congrats to him (And all the others too, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an event! I'm not sure I would get in either as much as I love swimming, that is a long way and as you said I wouldn't want to get my camera wet. I love the second last photo, the sunset pic, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and son have competed in the Byron Bay Ocean Swim on a couple of occasions and it also attracts thousands of swimmers of all ages and ability. I love going along to watch this event so I can understand how excited you were to watch your nephew compete at Busselton. That jetty is magnificent and certainly makes a perfect backdrop for stunning photos. I love all the different colours of the swim caps in the chopped up water. Just beautiful.
    P.S: I'm glad your son is safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well done to your husband and son! how long this that ocean swim? It was great to go to the event. I've known about it for years but never got to it before. So much more interesting when you know someone swimming. Afterwards I found out a few more people I knew were swimming too!

      Delete
  6. What a great atmosphere, your photos are divine. I love the one from under the jetty x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous shots of the event!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill, congrats to your nephew and his girlfriend.. Looks like a lot of people enjoy being in this race.. Great shots. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so pleased that your nephew got to compete, that made the day even more special. I never learned to swim and am actually terrified of the water, other than wading along the water on a beach, which I will be doing shortly. Right now I am under the weather and I am thinking your salt air would help me tremendously. These are such beautiful, brightly coloured fun images Jill, Thank you always for sharing your life with us. Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there is nothing wrong with just wading along the water's edge. I do more of that than actual swimming at the beach these days. I don't like waves at all!

      Delete
  10. I wouldn't swim with all those people either...love the shots...looks like a school of colorful fish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No way would I swim! But it is fun to watch for sure. My favorite photo is the one with the sun setting. How wonderful the water is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Gayle. Hmm...this was a stitched image I did a few years ago...you can see the places where it is stitched. I think I could do much better now!

      Delete
  12. your photos make me feel the summer heat already :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Feels like it will be forever until folks around here can join the fun. Thanks for sharing your sunshine!~May@AchievingClarity

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, wow -what a fun event! Like you, I'd prefer to stay dry and just take pictures instead of joining the fray. You got some great shots of the event. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great day for swimmers and everybody else this must be. I loved the black and white image especially. Looks like you live in a gorgeous place. I'm glad the bushfires are under control. I cannot imagine how frightening they must be.
    Nice to meet you too, Jill.
    Kathleen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love, love piers. This is awesome! Plus, I never thought a bunch of people swimming at the same time will look so cool ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd have been right there beside you Jill capturing this on camera because I am happier near water than in it-- but what a fun thing to do if you like swimming, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good to hear that the fires are out! That looks like quite the swim. I'd of been right there standing with you and Jackie (haha). You were so lucky to catch that great shot of your nephew! Thanks for linking up this week. #TPThursday

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha, SO glad you chose to keep your camera dry!!! But what a marvellous event - it's an awesome jetty (which I look forward to visiting one day) and a terrific setting! No wonder there's so many people involved! Have a great weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a terrific post Jill. Great action photography. And, it all looks so cool and refreshing. I'm happy to know it's only down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Jill
    Your blog was brought to my attention some time ago and I have only just now had a moment to read - fantastic! Thank you so much for such great comment on the day and the event. Your photographs are amazing. I have posted a link on our official Busselton Jetty Swim facebook page. Again, thank you and I hope we see you and your family again at the 21st celebrations in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Rhonda. I will hop over to your Facebook page and take a look. Thanks for the promo. I am glad you enjoyed stopping by my blog. cheers.

      Delete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.