Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Sunday 25 January 2015

Australia Day - 26 January - on the beach

26 January is Australia Day and the day we celebrate everything Australian, our history, the future, way of life, mateship and cultural diversity. 

I'd love you to waltzing matilda over to my post from last year to look at a more humouress look at what Australianism is - Celebrating Australia and Waltzing Matilda

Why do we celebrate Australia Day on 26 January?  This is the day in 1788 that Captain Arthur Phillip landed in Sydney Cove with the First Fleet (eleven convict ships) from Great Britain. They raised the Union Jack to symbolise British occupation of the eastern half of the continent claimed by Captain James Cook on 22 August in 1770. We should also remember on this day that Australia's first inhabitants, the traditional indigenous owners, have a slightly different view of this event. You can learn more by clicking here - Australia Day History 

Please click on "read more" to read more!


As well as the presentation of the Australian of the Year awards, Australia Day is celebrated around Australia with citizenship ceremonies, parades, concerts, sporting events, community festivals and barbecues, and in more major centres there are fireworks.  It is a time to get together with family and friends.

And of course there is the beach and many Australian's flock to the beach on Australia Day. Australia is an island and so it is no wonder that we love the beach. And with impossibly blue water like this can you blame us? I took this pic on Sunday around Meelup south of Dunsborough in south west of Western Australia - a very popular area during the summer holidays. 

I was excited this week to be guest contributor on "Wild Western Australia  - Western Australian Traveller's Guide" - Please click on the link here to see the my article "Life is a Beach in Western AustraliaWild Western Australia - Life is a beach in WA


It's only about an hour south of our home, so today we went down there for the day. But before the beach we stopped off for a fantastic take-away coffee at "Hot Chocolatte" in Dunsborough. Honestly they have the best ever take-away coffee and hot chocolate, and chocolates of course.  You can check them out on their face book page here - Hot Chocolatte, Dunsborough.
I loved this sign in their window - so I've posted it for my chocolate loving friends. We all knew that chocolate was good for us!


Then on to the beach. Ok.... Busselton, Dunsborough and Meelup beaches are not for surfers. They are more for families with calmer water generally. Surfers go a bit further south to Yallingup and Margaret River.


 We sat under the trees to eat our lunch at Meelup


 There are lots of little coves like this one along this stretch. Make sure you pack a sun shade and sunscreen - slip, slop slap, wrap - as they say here in Australia. Slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen, slap on a hat and wrap on sunglasses.



 Bunkers Bay


On the way home we stopped at the Busselton Jetty to buy an icecream at Simmos. We tried to stop at their main shop just out of Dunsborough, but people were queued out the door! You can see my Mango icecream in the collage up above here. Check out the yummy flavours you can get - Simmos Icecream on Facebook

Extending 1.8 kilometres into Geographe Bay, the heritage listed Busselton Jetty is the longest timber-piled jetty in the Southern Hemisphere. You can read more about it here - Busselton Jetty.  It has always been a popular spot for locals and tourists.  On 8 February they have the "round-the-jetty" swimming race, an annual event.


 Ah..... life is a beach in Australia on Australia Day..... and don't forget the bronze Aussie bloke - I hope he remembers to slip, slop, slap, wrap!


Happy Australian Day to all my Aussie readers. What are you doing on Australia Day?

Thank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you and will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 


I am linking up to Mosaic Monday, Travel Photos Monday, Weekend Travel Inspiration, Our World Tuesday, Wednesday Around the World, Travel Photo Thursday, and What's It Wednesday.  Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Mosaic Monday
Travel Photo Mondays
Weekend Travel Inspiration
Our World Tuesday
Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global
What's It Wednesday
Travel Photo Thursday

You might also like - 
Celebrating Australia Day and Waltzing Matilda - 2014
Celebrating Australia Day 2013
Blue on Blue - Coral Bay, Western Australia

Wild Western Australia - Life is a beach in WA

27 comments:

  1. How clear that last underwater shot came out! I cannot even imagine going to the beach here in Oregon as it is winter! Yours looks so warm, inviting and relaxing! Now I want to go get a cup of cocoa and ice cream! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it looks so warm and inviting. Such beauty it seems found along the coast and in the tiny coves and beaches there. I love the Summer colours of your shares as well. Have a wonderful week Jill and many hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos of a beautiful day in a beautiful country! Happy Australia Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I come to you by way of Mosaic Monday. Your Australia Day sounds much like our Independence Day celebration, otherwise known as the 4th of July, to celebrate our independence from Great Britian. The irony of it. The beach looks beautiful and the waters so clear and blue and beautiful. Your blog is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I really do need to come over and explore the west. Those beaches look amazing. I am so close to the beach here in Cairns but don't think I will head anywhere near them. I know there are events around but I won't be going to them either. I am a sook with the heat, I burn like crazy and don't really like large crowds of people. As kids our local town used to put on a BBQ, farmer's Ironman race and other events at the local show grounds which was always a fun day out.
    I do love the beach, there is just something special about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect collection of photos for Australia Day. The colours of the water at Meelup Beach are amazing! With such gorgeous images it makes me very proud to be an Aussie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Australia Day. I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving your photos and story Happy Australia Day Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I could be on the beach today..it is snowing here today. Gorgeous images, Jill! Happy Australia Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this about blogging - I love your winter images in our summer, and you like my warm images in winter - win win I would think.

      Delete
  10. That's the life Jill, hanging by the beach and takeaway treats. You have a good slogan with the slip, slop, slap and wrap - and something anyone in the sun should heed. As a strawberry blonde, I am paying for my younger years when we had no sunscreen. :-(
    Thank you for linking to Mosaic Monday, a happy Australia Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Australia Day Jill. Loved the post and love your land of Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What lovely shots of the beach! Happy Australia Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mango ice-cream! I can't stop my mouth watering at the thought.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I can see why you go to the beach on this wonderful day...I could use a beach right now...Happy Australia Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Australia Day! THank you so much for taking the time to teach us a little history, which is always fascinating! Beautiful shots, beautiful beaches... the sea so blue.... ooooh...... I need to plan a trip to the beach! unfortunately Australia is a little bit far with a 2 year old! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are such nice pictures, they beam such a great warmth (on this cold, grey and stormy winter weather we have around here...brrrr...)! I'd like to be there right now! And you know what? My kids know and like Walzing Mathilda, we like to hear it sometimes (one of the faster versions of it, althout the one by Slim Dusty is also nice) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! I think Waltzing Matilda must be a well travelled song then!

      Delete
  17. What a great celebration of your Day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a great day!

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's interesting (and a bit embarrassing!) how little I know about Australia Day and its origins!! But most Aussies speak a common language - BEACH!! Love these pics and love your guest post too - I'm looking forward to discovering the WA beaches I haven't yet seen someday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great way to celebrate your country's birthday. In Canada we celebrate on July 1st, and since that is the middle of our summer beaches and beer are always front and center! Thanks for linking up this week. #TPThursday

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Australia Day Jill, sounds like the perfect day. 26 Jan is mid winter here in France but the wattle bush (called mimosa here) in my garden nearly always starts flowering on or around AustraliaDay which makes me think of my Aussie roots. France's National Day is in mid summer so we usually go to the beach and watch fireworks in the evening too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Slip, slop, slap, wrap is a great phrase. Americans need to start saying it, too. Happy Australia Day! I am struck by all the shades of blue you've captured in the water. If I lived near there, I'd also spend my free time at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are such nice pictures,What a great way to celebrate your country's birthday.I love this about blogging.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.