Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 4 August 2014

Karijini camping - part 2 - Pilbara, Western Australia

Last week I brought you the first part of our recent Pilbara trip, visiting Karijini National Park. If you missed it you can catch up by clicking here - Pilbara camping in Karijini Naitonal Park

Today we travel across the park to Joffre, Knox, Hancock, Weano and Hamersley Gorges and to Mount Bruce. 


The Joffre Falls and the Weano Gorge area is about 30 kilometres west of the Karijini Visitor Centre.  As we had stayed such a long time at Kalamina Gorge (see last week's post), and, I must admit, the fact that I don't feel so confident about clambering down gorge walls these days, we decided for this trip we would just go to the lookouts of the gorges on the western side of the park.  You can't help but be impressed by this awe inspiring landscape. The gorges dramatically show the forces of nature that carved these gorges into the landscape millions of years ago. 

 To keep reading and see more pics, please click on "read more" .....

  First off Joffre Falls and the Knox Gorge lookout. It is only a short walk from the carpark to the lookouts. Joffre Falls lays in a deep natural amphitheatre which would be particularly impressive after rain.  You can just see Joffre Falls on the LHS of the pic below.




From Joffre it is another 14 kms to the Weano Day area where there are picnic facilities.  From here you can climb down into Hancock Gorge and Weano Gorge and explore through to Handrail Pool. Or like us go to the Junction Pool and Oxer Lookouts.  


It always amazes me how trees can grow out of these rock faces. They must find a crack to push their roots down through.

This is inside Weano Gorge - taken during our last trip to Kairjini.
Weano Gorge

 Please note the gorges on the western side of the park are Class 4 and Class 5. The trails can be very difficult and require a high level of fitness, agility and experience. Steep sections with vertical drops are common as are natural hazards including large boulders, water pools, slippery wet rocks and narrow high ledges.  Walkers must get out of the gorges as quickly as possible if it rains, as flash floods can occur. 

Climbing in the gorges can be very hazardous and deaths have occurred - both walkers and those who have gone in to rescue them. This is highlighted by a memorial for a volunteer rescuer near one of the lookouts, and information on the information boards explaining what is involved and how long it takes to get an injured person out of the gorge.

The gorges have very high vertical cliffs and cliff edges can be loose and unstable. Stay on established trails and keep well back from the cliff edges. Please take extra care if you are walking with children. 
Take note of signage, distances, expected walk times, wear appropriate clothing including sturdy walking books (no thongs are not suitable footwear!), sun protection and carry plenty of water and some food. 


To explore the Weano area fully you should stay a few days. There is camping nearby at the Karijini Eco Retreat. 

Another gorge which is more easily assessible is Hamersley Gorge. For this you actually have to exit the park via Karijini Drive and the Hamersley Mt Bruce Road. The gorge is 101km from the Visitor Centre. 

At Hamersley Gorge you can see how the rock has been buckled and folded during its formation millions of years ago. Spectacular. Those are full size trees down the bottom there.


Inspired by Red Nomad's new book "Aussie Loos with Views!" I am always on the lookout for loos to add to Red's collection - I wonder if she has this one at Hamersley Gorge? 
You can check out Red's book and blog here - Red Nomad Oz Amazing Australian Adventures



And this is something I definitely didn't expect to find - a WI-fi connection hot spot! This must be one of the most remote WI-fi connections in Australia. So we decided to have our lunch here and download our emails.  Where is it? - on the road down into Hamersley Gorge.


My travel posts wouldn't be right without a few wildflowers. Lucky for me the wildflower season was just starting when we were there.  The flower on the bottom left hand corner is one of the Mulla Mulla family. This is one of my favorite Pilbara flowers, which lets me know I have arrived in the Pilbara. 


 Below is another one of the Mulla Mulla family, a smaller variety. 


50km from the Visitor Centre via Karijini Drive, you can also climb Mt Bruce, the second-tallest peak in Western Australia. There are 3 walks - 30 minutes return to the Marandoo Mine lookout, 4.6km or 3 hour return along Honey Hakea Track to a vantage point higher up, and the 9km, 6 hour return Mount Bruce summit. If you decide to do this walk, please start early in the morning. It is a Class 5 challenging walk with spectacular views. We were running out of time, so we will need to leave that one till next trip.  But here are a few views along the first part of the trail.

You can see a view of Marandoo mine in the pics below. The Hamersley Ranges area is rich in iron ore, one of Western Australia's biggest export earners. Both tourism and mining are vital to WA's economy, and Marandoo strives to strike a balance between mining and conservation. 


That concludes the second part of our Pilbara trip. I hope you have enjoyed it. Next time we leave Karijini and return to the bitumin briefly before camping out in station country on our way to Mount Augustus. The biggest rock in Australia.


Thanks for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. Have a wonderful week.

I am linking up to Mosaic Monday, Travel Photos Monday, Our World Tuesday, Wednesday Around the World, Travel Photo Thursday, and What's It Wednesday.  Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Mosaic Monday
Travel Photo Mondays
Our World Tuesday
Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global
What's It Wednesday
Travel Photo Thursday


26 comments:

  1. What a magnificent area to hike! The colourful striations and growth in the rock is eye-catching to say the least. I bet it was hot on that trek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to hike and camp in that area, the water also looks inviting after exploring those stunning canyons

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love these journeys, and the gorges and spectacular scenery that accompanies them Jill; fabulous. Carole, at snaphappyonline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to see this part of the world through your eyes Jill. Stunning vistas. Stunning photography.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading a post from a blogger friend halfway around the world and be transported to a place I've visited closer to home. Those gorges remind me a lot of southern Idaho here in the States, Jill! Also, having been in Search and Rescue for many years (I'm out of it now) thank you for reminding folks about the flash floods. They are terrifyingly quick, powerful and unforgiving. Great post and love your flowers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's an area that I'd love to get to ... and soon. Your photos of the buckled and folded ranges have piqued the interest of my geologist hubby, who would love fossiking around the area, I'm sure. Your photos are stunning as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What stunning scenery and a fantastic trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The last photo of the road through Hammersley Ranges reminds me so much of our travels through the Pilbara. The scenery was very stunning in places despite all the iron ore mining activity in the region. Great photos as per usual Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful red rock canyons! And wildflowers! Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! You have made me want to visit this area even more than I already wanted to. I love the texture/ formation of the rocks. I also always find it amazing what can grow on rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jill, thanks for taking us to another beatiful national park. The gorges are truly gorgeous. I love their earlthy color. I like that look with a view! The wi-fi station in the middle of nowhere is really such a nice treat. And, of course, I enjoyed your wildflowers shots as alays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I find the stratifications in the rocks so fascinating and humbling when I think of how long they likely took to form. I am like you--amazed by the trees growing in them. It is a wonder they find the water and ability to put down their roots or that those roots don't end up tearing the rock apart.~May

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so cool, thanks for sharing! Our nature looks "a bit" different so it's nice to see these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. your photos showcase Australia beautifully Jill. It is a side of Australia that many Aussies and visitors do not get to see. One day we will be visiting these places when we become grey nomads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The gorges remind me of those in Crete and those wild flowers are simply stunning. You give us such nice tours of places we'll likely never get to except from the armchair. Many thanks for the photos and stories. . .

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like the photos of Weano Gorge from inside it. It sounds like it must have been very challenging to get down there. Hamersley Gorge has such interesting lines, and the photos with the water are especially beautiful. As always, I enjoy your wildflower photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much Jill. This sounds (and looks) like a stunning experience. I hope that Mark and I will one day see such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. thank you so much wonderful readers for stopping by. I really appreciate you taking the time to visit and comment. My apologies if I don't drop by your blog. I have been snowed under with my Dad in hospital and now I have a dreadful cold. I hope I can catch up with you all soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much Jill to share all you adventures with us. Great post Jill and very adventurous and wonderful story and photos of your traveling experiences. I am also going to have such an incredible journey to enjoy my holidays there soon, and information which you shared is sounds fantastic and very helpful for me to plan my trip too. its some good ideas for budding artists there! I am so exciting! I can’t wait to read about your all informative and wonderful story.Thanks
    Five Star Car Rentals
    7 5575 5400
    40 French St,Eagle Farm, QLD 4009, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous, Jill!
    The striations in that first photo from Hamersley Gorge reminds me of a hornet's nest I saw once. It was so beautiful, I couldn't stop staring at it and marveling at how ingenious nature is. So I can absolutely understand why people would want to get as close as possible, despite the danger. Sad to read of the loss of lives there. Best to take photos, like you have, and enjoy them safely from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous shots, Jill. I laughed at the first shot, with the orange road. My memories of Australia always included orange dust. It took months to get it all out of my clothes! What a great place for a wifi connection.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a FANTASTIC loo!!! I'm so peeved we didn't get to Hamersley Gorge when we visited Karijini - and not just for the loo, either! Those rock walls are stunning!!! Thank you so much for the shout out - I hope the loos in the book provide some travel inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I am always on the look out for more loos with views Red for your 2nd book!

      Delete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.