Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Sunday 28 July 2013

The breathtaking world of "Gardens by the Bay", Singapore


Last week I showed a little of our recent visit to Singapore - High Life at the Raffles
No I didn't stay at the Raffles - I wish! If you missed it click here - High Life at the Raffles

 This week I take you to Gardens on the Bay - only a few MRT stops from the Raffles.

I don’t think any words I conjure up can adequately describe the beauty and magic of “Gardens by the Bay in Singapore.  Opened in June 2012 what they have achieved here is nothing short of Outstanding! Stunning! Amazing! Spectacular!



The gardens are a brilliant kaleidoscope of exotic plants from around the world that whisks you away from the hustle and bustle that is Singapore.  It is certainly a wonderful place to go if you need some time out from your busy holiday in Singapore.   


Located in the Marina Bay area (behind the Marina Bay Sands Hotel - the one with the boat on top!), the gardens can be enjoyed all day until 2am in the morning. Access to the Outdoor Gardens and the night light show is free. You could easily spend a whole day here.   The gardens can be experienced in several dfferent ways - 

The main gardens which include Dragonfly and Kingfisher Lakes and the Heritage Gardens can be strolled around at your leisue at no cost. The Heritage Gardens are a collection of four themed gardens that take you through the history and culture of Sinapore's three main ethnic groups and colonial past. You can see the Supertrees in this mosaic - more about them later.  


The two massive conservatories can be visited at a very reasonable coast as can the sky walk and a tour bus around the gardens with commentary.  The Cloud Forest Dome geatures an amazing 35-metre tall central "mountain covered in lush vegetation 


and the world's tallest indoor waterfall (10 stories high).  


The Cloud Forest Dome showecases plant life from tropical highlands up to 2,000-metres above sea level. You can go up to the top via a lift and then walk down along the aerial walkways. 


 The orchids were simply stunning!   


Can you see the bird? 


I love the elegant simplicity of these plants - I wish I had found out their name...though I don't suppose I would be able to grow them in Australia.  
ps - Noel from Hawaii and Travel Photo Mondays tells me they are - anthuriums. Thanks Noel! What a brilliant place blogging is! 


Gardens By the Bay tries to educate as well as enthrall. In Earth Check and +5 Degrees you are given a visual sobering insight into the radical changes that Climate Change is bringing about and the problems we are likely to face due to climate change and habitat loss and the effect of temperature increases around Earth. We desperately need everyone to do what they can to look after our planet before it is too late. If we don't the amazing life as we know it today, plants and animals, and even mankind, will be lost forever.    


The Flower Dome replicates the cool-dry climate of Mediterranean regions like South Africa, Australia, California, Chile and parts of Spain and Italy. Home to a collection of plants from deserts all over the word, it showcases the adaptions of plants to arid environments. We even saw Australian boab trees. Colourful changing displays of flowers in the Flower Field reflect different seasons, festivals and themes.   There is even a restautrant. You can see it in the top left hand picture - the blue area under the bottle trees. Unfortunately we arrived at the Flower Dome in the early evening, so I wasn't able to take a lot of photos.   


Our boys were mesmerized by the floor kaleidoscopes. I thought they were pretty cool too.   


The unique trees" in the Supertree Grove soar up to 16-storeys hight. You can stroll freely amongst the trees or for a small price walk along the OCBC Skyway, a 128-metre long walkway 22-metres about the ground that connects two Supertrees, and take in the panoramic views of the Gardens and Marina Bay area.   Unfortunately we arrived too late to do everything....so it will be on my list for next time.   


Over 162,900 plants comprising more than 200 species and varieties of bromeliads, orchids, ferns and tropical flowering climbers are planted on the trunks of the Supertrees, which have panels that harvest solar energy.  In the evening the Supertrees come alive with a dazzling display of changing lights which left me completely in awe - I felt like I was walking through the gardens in the movie "Avatar".   


There are several dining options, but we chose Satay by the Bay for a typical SIngapore stay feast. The bottom right photo is acatually the open-air bathroom - I couldn't resist taking a photo.   


Located across the water from the Merlion, Gardens by the Bay is easy to get to via the MRT (alight at Bayfront MRT STation). Prices are very reasonable - check the website for how to get there and opening times and costs -
Plan your visit to Gardens by the Bay



I hope you enjoyed this little tour to Gardens By the Bay. I THOROUGHLY recommend you visit Gardens by the Bay if you ever go to Singapore. 
Click here to go to their website - Gardens by the Bay

Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to hearing from you.  Take care and have a wonderful week.

 I hope to be back again soon with some more pics.

Did I mention earlier there is a hotel with a "boat" on the top - you can see it in the background here - 


I am linking up to Mosaic Monday, Travel Photo Monday, Our World Tuesday, Travel Photo Thursday and Oh the Places I've Been. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Mosaic Monday
Travel Photo Mondays
Our World Tuesday
Travel Photo Thursday
 Oh The Places I've Been


45 comments:

  1. I would have been right there with your boys at those floor Kaleidoscopes. Beautiful gardens too -- What a wonderful place with something for everyone (I loved it all).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely have to make a return trip to Singapore to see this amazing garden...btw those plants you asked about are anthuriums, tropical so maybe in your area, i'm not sure, but you can also grow them indoors. Here in Hawaii, I keep them outdoors in filtered light and just wait for the blooms for cuttings, no fuss :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh wow! thanks Noel! what a brilliant place the blogosphere is!

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a fantastic place to visit. Thank you for sharing the photos. Wishing you a blessed week. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a futuristic world and is amazing when lit up at night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this unusual look at Singapore. It's a place I've always wished to visit, ever since I was a girl and had a pen-pal from there. Perhaps some day!...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly an amazing city - always something new happening or being built. It is certainly not a relaxing holiday destination - so much to see and do and experience.

      Delete
  6. Can I just used the words you did? "Outstanding! Stunning! Amazing! Spectacular!" Wonderful photos. Love the supertrees at night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow . Amazing places and captured so perfectly..Lovely images Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a spectacular place - I would love to visit. Your night time shots are amazing. Thank you for the wonderful tour of the gardens! Saying Hi through Mosaic Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a fabulous place to visit. So much to see and so, your photos are awesome. I especially love the lights at night! Thanks for sharing your trip, have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful images, Jill. I wish we'd seen them when we were in Singapore in 2011. Viewing them made me vividly recall tropical heat and lushness. Thanks for sharing them.
    (And thanks for mentioning my book!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Deb. I am glad you enjoyed remembering Singapore.
      ps - I very much enjoyed your author's talk at Australind and your book - A Stranger in my Street.

      Delete
  11. Awesome and spectacular photos - what a beautiful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an incredible place! Thanks for taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful colours!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey,

    love the pictures, this makes me really want to go back to Singapore!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, a mesmerizing and stunning place! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jesh. I wish I could work out how to get to your blog so I can drop by yours!

      Delete
  16. I have never seen a garden quite like that one. I don't think I'll ever get there in person so thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, amazing beauty for sure. Such creativity as well as gorgeous arrangements. What a great place!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jill, the concept of the Gardens by the Bay has really amazed me. It was still not up when I last visited Singapore. I've seen photos but not in this much detail. Your evening shots are mezmerizing. I'll have fun at the kaleidescope floors, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a gorgeous place to visit. Quite amazing. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, absolutely amazing photo’s Jill. And the gardens look out of this world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful shots, Jill! and a reason for me to return to a city that I love.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's been a while since I was last in Singapore but you have tempted me to return! The gardens look amazing and the tress are wonderful. It looks as though you need to plan two visits..one during the day and another at night so you don't miss anything! Combined with a visit to the Marina Sands Hotel and a gin sling at the Raffles, Singapore sounds like a perfect break!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I remember seeing this from the Singapore Flyer but didn't realize what exactly it is. Now that you've given us a tour, I want to go there! Looks beautiful, especially at night.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have whetted my appetite. We will be in Singapore in November :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect! You MUST put it on your visit list. Be there at least for the whole afternoon and early evening. Enjoy!

      Delete
  25. How neat and different. Interesting that it's open into the wee hours of the morning.

    Great to have you at "Oh, the PLACES I've been!".

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those supertrees are something else. These are certainly gardens on the grand scale made to impress. I can't believe people still visit the gardens at 1 am that's wild from my Canadian perspective.
    I would definitely include a visit should I ever make it to Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I found the long opening hours odd..........

      Delete
  27. oh gosh those garden pics are stunning, I love the look of the Super-trees that come alight at night time - it does look like its from the movie Avatar!
    Thanks for sharing your Singapore Gardens by the Bay experience - would love to go there one day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. 28 comments! thank you all! I think this is a record for me! I am so glad you enjoyed this post - the Gardens really are stunning. Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Have a wonderful weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those kaleidoscopes are so fun. I hear Singapore is an amazing place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! These are some of the most amazing gardens I've seen. I love how diverse it is and how much it offers. I can spend hours exploring this. I really need to go back to Singapore and this is one of the first places I need to go to. My kids would be at that floor kaleidoscope too. Thanks for the virtual tour.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such magnificent site to visit. I love Singapore. complete photographs which capture by your camera are just amazing and attracting to visit. I glad found yours blog. really you have a great informative blog.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You have totally changed my mind about returning to Singapore. I have to see these amazing sights that you and your camera have brought to life so well. In 1983 I can remember nothing of the sort, and Singapore felt a little sterile,albeit a city on steroids. So it isn't all about Raffles after all;) thanks for sharing your wonderful photos, Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This looks beautiful. I think when I was in Singapore I saw these in the distance and didn't know what they were so I ignored them! I should have visited!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I so love visiting your blog to see what you will be showing me and today's was just spectacular. I've not been eager to return to Singapore (and it has been decades) but your recent reports are making me think it just might be time to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! Singapore has outdone itself with this. I haven't been there since 2003. Looks like it's time to plan a return visit and set aside a day for Gardens By the Bay. Thanks for sharing these gorgeous images.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a stunning place to visit...I don't think I would of wanted to leave...thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  37. The floor kaleidescopes would have had me transfixed.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow, I made my husband come see the photos too. it sort of takes my breath away...beautiful photos too, great angles.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.