Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Sunday 4 November 2012

Lemons and lemon butter

It is spring and our lemon tree is loaded with lemons.

Lemons are a very versatile fruit - you can drink it, make it into jams and spreads, cook with it - both sweet and savoury, use it for medicinal purposes, and even use it for cleaning! (try it out in your bathroom)
Do you remember as a child writing secret notes with lemon juice that only reveal themselves when heat is applied?

This time of year with our family love lemon butter and lemon meringue pie. Delicious!!
Shall we have fresh baked scones with that lemon butter? And sit out on the patio in the morning sunshine?

First you need lemons - fresh from the tree


Then the ingredients -
Juice of 3 lemons & finely grated rind
500gm (1 lb) white sugar
250gm (1/2 lb) butter
4 eggs, plus 2 yolks, well beaten together. 
Place all in a large bowl, standing in pan of boiling water on the stove. Stir constantly until consistency of honey, but do not allow to boil. (about half an hour approx)
Bottle, and keep in fridge.


 Then some fresh made scones, and some pretty china, and a nice place to sit.


These colourful little daisies come from a bush in my garden which has flowers on it just about all year round. The lovely little glass jar I have put them in is actually an antique mustard pot from a cruet set that belonged to my grandmother.


And here is the lemon meringue pie - it is a family favourite. I have always loved it. My mother brought me in a piece when I was in hospital when my eldest son was born. It is his favourite, and now his eldest nearly six years old little boy loves it too!


Do you have a lemon tree? Do you make lemon butter? or lemon meringue pie?

Thank you for stopping by. I look forward to hearing from you. Have a wonderful week.

I am linking up to Mary and the other wonderful contributors from across the world at Mosaic Monday - to visit, please click on the link here - Mosaic Monday

 You might also like - click on the links to go to -

Lemon tarts 


Oranges and lemons




16 comments:

  1. Jill, you are so lucky to have lemons growing in your back yard. Lemons won't grow where I live, too cold in the winter. We get our lemons in the grocery store. I so envy you that you have Lemons growing on your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Wow, your lemon pie looks delicious. And the lemon butter sounds yummy too. It is wonderful to have lemons growing in your own yard. Wonderful post and photos. Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy Jill, we love your lemon butter and of course lemon meringe pie xxx
    Love the photos by the way, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can almost smell the scent of the lemons. Unfortunately our lemon tree did not survive the harsh winter very well, my husband is trying to save it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill, I love your photos so much and the picture of the lemon meringue pie has made me very hungry. It looks absolutely divine - are you absolutely sure it's not from a professional bakery?! It looks gorgeous. I can smell the lemons in your photos. I do have a lemon tree, but I'm useless with baking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How I love lemons. We had several trees when we lived in South America. I really miss them. Fresh lemonade, pie, lemon curd, etc. Almost anything tastes great with lemon. Such beautiful photos of a wonderful fruit and its uses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a bright and cheery theme to your photos and mosaics. They are all lovely. Yum love that lemon curd!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your pretty photos, too. And there's nothing better than a fresh lemon. We go out to an orange grove that also has big lemons. We picked one right off the tree last year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No fresh lemons where I live without a greenhouse! :). Your photos are enchanting, Jill. Thanks so much for sharing them at MM! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. No lemon trees in my part of the USA but I love your photos...bright, cheery and delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how I love lemon. Yummy!!! I love the smell, so fresh and clean. Unfortunately I have to buy them at the grocery store. Too cold here for Lemon Trees. You post photos make me want to dive into those treats. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  12. What gorgeous photographs - so beautiful and so tempting! Happy Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your photographs are beautiful! The lemons are making my mouth water! I would love to have a piece of that pie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE this post. All of your pictures are so pretty. I am always buying lemon curd, but I have never heard of lemon butter. I am wondering if they are one in the same. Beautiful mosaics. So colorful and appealing to the eye. genie

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mouth is so watering;') I ADORE lemon anything and lemon meringue pie is one of my all time faves...sweet remembrances of y momma's home made pie, with sky high perfect meringue toppings. I also enjoy cooking with lemons as well, from chicken dishes to anything sweet/tart. Loved this series~.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Did someone mention lemons? I'm a lemon freak. Gorgeous photos Jill. I'm trying to eat my screen.

    ReplyDelete